Content marketing is mostly misunderstood by people in business, and that’s why I have made it my mission to spend the majority of my time teaching people about content marketing.
These are the questions I get asked most often about content marketing:
- What is content marketing?
- How do I get started with content marketing?
- What are the business benefits of content marketing?
- Where can I learn more about content marketing?
I know that many people prefer learning by watching short videos, and not by reading lengthly blog articles. So with that in mind, I have pulled together my favourite content marketing videos that answer some of the biggest questions, challenges and concerns around content marketing.
- 26:06 – Total watching time
- 3:43 – Average watching time
- 2:15 – Shortest video
- 6:10 – Longest video
(I used this time calculator to help me)
If you’ve got 30 minutes, why not take time out to watch all the videos, take some notes, and let me know what you learn in the comments section at the end.
Marcus Sheridan – What is content marketing?
“The old ways are not coming back”
- Embrace the ‘they ask, you answer’ philosophy
- Can you listen better than anyone else in your industry and niche?
- Can you communicate in a way that customers get?
- Do you see you see yourself as a teacher?
- How helpful can you be at solving your customers problems?
Ann Handley – Placing your customer at the heart of your story
“At the heart of content marketing is the idea is that your story is not about you”
- Great example of putting your customer at the heart of your story
- No one cares about your products and services; so stop talking about them
- Your story is really about your customer; the people you help
- Brand agnostic: take yourself out of the story and put your customer at the heart of your story
Joe Pulizzi – What is Epic Content Marketing?
“The right content, to the right people, at the right time”
- The content can’t be about us (our products and services)
- Most content marketing programmes fail because they stop
- Deliver helpful and useful content
- Figure out your content marketing mission statement, which will set the tone for your content marketing strategy
CMI – What is content marketing?
“Content marketing is everything. Content is the only thing that markets”
- Most people/businesses don’t know what content marketing is
- Content marketing has been around for a long time
- Advertising works well when customers don’t know very much – we’re going to talk about this
CMI – The history of content marketing
An insight into the history of content marketing to emphasise that content marketing is not new
Gary Vaynerchuk – Every single one of you is a media company
“The cost of entry to being relevant in our society today is content. If you’re not putting out stories, you don’t exist”
- The internet has seriously disrupted the media industry
- You can use free products and applications to get your message out to your audience
- You have to be putting content out there and adding value to people’s lives. If you don’t, you won’t be heard and you won’t exist.
Jay Baer – What is the purpose of content marketing?
“Content is a way to cut through the clutter of messaging that we are all faced with as consumers everyday”
- Content marketing is gaining momentum, but it’s not new
- Interruption marketing doesn’t work the way it used to
- Every brand is not culturally ready to embrace content marketing
- If you want to do it right, it has to be content that has real value
- What was your big lesson from watching these videos?
- What challenges do you have with content marketing?
- Do you have a burning question about content marketing?
Let me know by joining the conversation in the comments section below.
Don’t forget to be awesome!